Apollo Group, Inc., Phoenix, AZ. 2011 - Present
IT Director, Software Development (August 2011 - Present)
Principal Solutions Architect (February 2011 - August 2011)
Develop and establish best practices across Product Engineering teams. Drive teams in adoption of department wide programs including: rolling deployment model to increase the pace of delivery for the online learning experience, unit test coverage to improve quality and reduce validation effort, and the establishment and use of cloud based test environments to provide isolation of functionality and flexibility in testing resources.
Océ Reprographic Technologies, Phoenix, AZ 1996 – 2010
Designed, developed, and maintained system and application software to support Architectural, Engineering, and Contracting industries with digital distribution, print and scan control and optimization, and print shop management for architecture, in-house print room, and reprographics markets.
Managing Director (2008 – 2010)
Responsible for the development and execution of software development programs for the Océ Wide Format Business Unit Application Software division. Provided leadership, vision, and directly managed 51-member domestic team and acted as technical manager for 31-member offshore team in Romania and Hungary.
· Proposing software development programs and projects for funding, including Repro Desk Studio, currently the bestselling software product in the portfolio, representing 68% of sales 2010 YTD.
· Responsible for corporate security and protection of intellectual property. Implemented proxy servers to limit access to inappropriate websites, IPSEC security for VPN connections, and establishing IT policy to reduce liability for inappropriate Internet use.
· Budget management – managed $7 million budget and kept expenses below budget three consecutive years and forced 5% budget reduction in 2009 due to reductions imposed by headquarters.
· Delivery of products - managed teams that released 4 new products and 11 major versions with productivity and quality ratings above CMMI level 3.
· Reduced development cost while increasing domestic productivity by integrating work of 25-member offshore team in Romania.
· Authored strategic plan and architecture for Repro Desk 2.x that answered objections and presented strong business case that facilitated launch into Facilities Management market.
Software Development Manager (2002 – 2008)
Managed $5 million budget and 41-member team developing client, server, and enterprise applications for Windows and web-based product lines. Oversaw teams in Romania, technology decisions, and milestone reporting.
· Grew Repro Desk licenses to more than 6,000 while leading culture change focused on producing best software, on time, and on budget.
· Developed portfolio’s first ever true downloadable thick client utilizing MFC. Added Auto-Update functionality
· Added best practices including policies, procedures, collaboration tools, and documentation enabling addition of 25 offshore developers in Romania.
· Converted existing black and white printing and scanning software to 24 bit color three times faster than anticipated by head quarters or proposed by separate development team.
· Led teams to release 17 major versions of 3 products adding support for over 10 different hardware devices.
· Took over and directed turnaround of disorganized leaderless project by restructuring team, establishing new technical leader and refactoring project plan and objectives.
· Implemented Best Practices to support consistent promotion of corporate and product visions.
Research and Development Manager (1999 – 2002)
Directed 16-member team with $3 million budget developing, enhancing, and bringing software products to market ensuring end-user satisfaction globally.
· Managed teams through three corporate acquisitions with employee turnover of less than 1% per year
· 200% sales increase for web and client/server applications facilitated by team releasing major product upgrades despite two acquisitions from 1999 to 2002.
· Supervised teams in release of 2 new products and 7 major versions of all 3 products.
· Reduced web hosting costs from $50,000/month to $14,000/month after Oce acquisition from Autodesk by migrating web farm and over a terabyte of data from Autodesk Buzzsaw web farm to new co-located farm with no data loss and zero interruption to customers. Designed, architected, purchased, and built new web farm utilizing SunGuard as co-location partner.
Software Development Team Lead (1996 – 1999)
Led eight developers producing client/server and Internet-based software and supported product line for reprographic market.
· Contributed to expanding licenses from 32 to more than 3,000 and growing staff from 12 to 44 by implementing method to globalize software facilitating marketing and resale into the European market.
· Provided leadership for team that developed four new releases of main product Repro Desk over two years plus numerous updates and patches supporting four new high volume wide format printers and scanners.
· Designed and implemented the globalization of the software with the technology still in practice today
· Collaborated with clients, conducted research, and designed and implemented accounting module, a requirement for establishing an OEM deal.
· Developed client / server solution for the digital transportation for files utilizing Z-modem technology.